Sunday, April 12, 2009

Simplicity: Focusing on the Sun, Celebrate Easter!

Alleluia! Jesus is Risen!

To begin our Easter season the staff hiked to the top of our hill very early this morning to watch the sunrise. I couldn't help but compare the sun and its production to Jesus' rising from the dead on this day. I'll assume that we've all heard many comparisons with sunrises and sunsets to our faith lives, especially since they are a great place to find God (I realize assuming is a risky thing to do). But this morning I was struck by some symbolism I hadn't quite thought of. As I watched the sun come over the mountain I couldn't help but stare at it, just like you do when you're a kid and then you can't see for a few minutes while your eyes adjust. I realize this probably wasn't the smartest decision for the health of my eyes, but I couldn't quite help myself. While focusing in on the sun, its brightness overcame everything around it and I could hardly see anything else besides that vast array of light. I found myself using trees to shade myself for a few second, but I almost felt guilty for doing so because I didn't want anything to come between myself and Jesus. And somehow, I found this as a simple way to focus my thoughts and my energy on Jesus' resurrection. In the stations of the cross we find Jesus stripped of all his garments and his dignity. Even when he is buried he is only provided with a linen cloth in a small, simple tomb. Amidst this simplicity he was able to focus on what was really important - the will of God.

This Easter season let us focus ourselves on what is really important, the Son of God, Chris out Savior and the light and warmth that He provides for us in our days. Let us pray that all that comes between God and ourselves may be pushed aside, so that we may rejoice in the loving grace of God. When Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joseph approach the tomb of Jesus they begin to wonder how they will move the stone which comes between Jesus and themselves... how will they remove this blockade? However, when they arrive at the tomb they find that the power of God has removed this blockade so that they may seek Christ in the world around them. Let us reflect on how Christ has freed us from sin and how we may simplify our lives to be focused on God's presence around us.

Rejoice in the Lord and His loving sacrifice and majesty!

No comments: