Sunday, April 5, 2009

Community: Violence in Media

(I've edited this one twice for accuracy of my opinion... feel free to post your comments whether you agree or not, I'm playing a bit of the devil's advocate here.)

It was a while ago that I finished reading Fr. John Dear, S.J.'s book "A Persistent Peace." John Dear reflects on his own life and his quest for nonviolence, including his own commitment to live fight for human rights while also supporting nonviolent acts. This theme of nonviolence caused me to reflect on a lot of themes that are prevalent in movies these days.

Since I've been on staff we've watched quite a few movies, including two trips to our local (and cheap) theater. The first of those was to see "The International." In this recent film violence is a dominant theme as good attempts to prevail over evil using violent acts, but does not since violence is not the answer. It serves as a positive example of the need for peaceful resolutions instead of violent actions, but a large part of me is also troubled by how widely accepted violence is in today's media.

When I see films like "The International" I can't help but think of what things my own children will someday watch. I struggle with the fact that many TV shows and movies these days demonstrate violence as an acceptable form of expression, therefore teaching children that it is suitable to use force to fulfill their desires. It is this sense of expression, this over-tolerated violence, that causes our communities and world to be so dismantled. If we are continually seeking to be better than the next person without allowing ourselves to understand one another, the we are not only crushing the common good and any sense of community, we are allowing something to become the norm that in no way should be so heavily tolerated.

Jesus' death on the cross was truly done in a humiliating and violent fashion, but never did he resort to violent retaliation. And in the end, good prevailed - Jesus rose from the dead and brought us the gift of everlasting life, he never even flinched to use violence. Taking time this week to reflect on the closing of Lent and the Passion of the Lord, ask ourselves in what ways we encourage this culture of violence. This can go far beyond physical force, but even when we degrade others and fail to recognize their human dignity. How can we change our lives to seek peace and to do so in ways that are peaceful? How can we better build community and seek to rebuild communities torn apart by violence? I know I won't be watching any violent films for quite a while... or I'll at least be aware of how they portray violence.

2 comments:

Jordan and Jessie said...

"For from within, out of heart of men, proceed the evil thoughts, fornications, thefts, murders, adulteries, deeds of coveting and wickedness, as well as deciet, sensuality, envy, slander, pride and foolishness. All these evil things proceed from within and defile the man."
- Mark 7:20-23

I agree with you. How many of the things which Jesus stated above are found in movies and the media which saturates our society? How do we expect to fill our minds and hearts with these thoughts, yet not let them effect us?

We must be ever mindfull of what we find entertaining.

Unknown said...

This type of argument comes up quite a bit in philosophy class, and in moral debates.
The movie you reference seems to have a Utilitarian point of view(which is shared by the mainstrea)m, where you lok at the total harm done(violence) and the total good done (good side prevailing)
According to Utilitarian points of view, if the sum is a net good for the most amount of people, then the action is morally right.
Christian idealogy seems to have moral absolutes, where we view actions as right or wrong, even if a wrong action seems to have positive benifits, it is still wrong.(violence in this case)
For example one could argue(utilitarian) that Jesus' violent death on the cross was a good thing: It produced a net good because we are now all saved, and only one had to suffer.
When I was a very young lad my grandmother tried to teach me the rosary. She asked me if I new the joyful mysteries. I did not so she asked me for some joyful events from the Bible. I told her the crucifixion, and rationalized it as joyful for the above reasons.
She explaned the seperation in Christian theology that while the resurrection is glorious, the crucifiction is still sorrowful.

Mike Herr