Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Reflection from a Volunteer

From my week at Nazareth Farm, I can truly say that I can see beauty in every person, every situation, and every environment. I saw beauty in Prayer, Simplicity, Community and Service; the four cornerstones of Nazareth Farm and in my life. Prayer life at Nazareth Farm was absolutely beautiful. As a community we invited God to join us throughout the day. I prayed when I was up on the ladders (I was deathly afraid of heights before Nazareth Farms) I would ask him to hold me. “God just hold me, I trust you!” I would say, and not once did I fall or think of my fear. And now I’m not afraid of heights!

Simplicity was another cornerstone of Nazareth Farm. As a community the staff member asked us to show our natural beauty the way God created us. (Never in my life have I felt so beautiful). And they asked us to conserve everything from water to food. We were also not allowed cell phones or IPods so we could hear God calling and the birds singing. What a relief to step back from our busy lives and just hear God speaking. What a rush. God was speaking to me through all the service that I was doing; his work. Helping people who needed help was His work. And all the people we helped you could see God’s joy in their eyes. And with every swing of the hammer it was me saying, “I LOVE YOU!” I was doing this for my Father’s children, my brothers and sisters. We did this service through community. Every person we helped was in God’s community and at Nazareth Farm we became a community. All the people at Nazareth Farm became my family. They didn’t judge me. They saw me how God sees me as a wonderful gift to this earth. How awesome. What a journey. Anyone that has not gone to Nazareth Farm should go to experience the love and happiness. I will continue to spread the word of God through the four cornerstones and hope that YOU will join me.

God bless,

Colleen Linn

No comments: