Saturday, May 9, 2009

Service: It Comes from Passion and Love

I feel like I should apologize for taking a week off last week, and I realize its not good for continuity sake. But, everybody needs a vacation day every once in a while - right? We just have to make sure we aren't taking a vacation from God or our faith, those must be constants in our everyday lives.

It is that consistency of faith that drives me to serve, to recognize the dignity of all those I encounter and to do my best to put my own blessings aside so that others may be blessed in the first place. I guess you could say that is my passion in life, to be with other people and to serve God at the same time. I'm always awestruck when I hear about people living out their passions, even jealous sometimes. A few specific situations come to mind.

Since I am a Cincinnati native, I am also a Reds fan at heart and will always be a Reds fan despite their more trying years. So I was very happy when I heard the story of Chris Dickerson integrating his passion for environmental sustainability and his center-field position with the Cincinnati Reds. As a minor-league player for the Louisville Bats, Chris was appalled by the overuse of disposable cups and Gatorade bottles in the locker room and dugouts. So he bought Sigg bottles (comparable to Naglenes and other reusable bottles) for each member of the team in an effort to be more sustainable. When he was promoted to the majors with the Cincinnati Reds he didn't let this mission die and did the same thing - bought a bottle for each teammate. Throughout that process he also started a non-profit organization called "We Play Green" which encourages athletes to live sustainably and join forces with Chris.

I also read an article lately about Dikembe Mutombo's life-changing effect on an ESPN reporter who traveled with him to Africa and saw the poverty-stricken people firsthand. Chad Ford was forever changed by that trip and the hope that Dikembe brings to the people of his native land. Seeing that hope and Love that Mutombo brings inspired him to do the same.

Check out We Play Green's website: http://www.weplaygreen.org/ or Chad Ford's letter to Dikembe Mutombo on ESPN's Blog "truehoop": http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-39-125/Chad-Ford-s-Letter-to-Dikembe-Mutombo.html. And let's ask ourselves, how do we liev out our passions and love for others no matter what our current profession? Who are those around us who are models of such service and how can we strive to live in their model and the model of Jesus?

No comments: